152 Pine Street

2½ storey, Italianate, dichromatic, red-brick house with multiple bays and gables (c. 1890).

pic_152Pine

Façade RH side – Small, hipped-roof porch at entry has tall, turned columns on concrete slab. Original balustrade is missing, and plastic gutter above is unsuitable. Entrance comprises pair of half-glazed, panelled doors with transom window, latter within segmental arch of (painted) rubbed, buff-brick voussoirs. Buff-brick masonry, and hood-moulding above, drop at jambs to meet buff-brick band-course with central dog-toothed course. At second floor, pair of tall, 1/1 windows (behind four-pane, wooden storms) have wooden spandrel above with decorative filigree. Segmental, (painted) brick-arch and hood-mouldings above are built off band-course as at ground floor. Gable peak has wooden coffers framing “Xs and Os”, set over wooden cornice. Gable fascias are plain (presumably having lost mouldings as remain at no. 110).

pic_152Pine_2

Façade LH side – Similar elements are grouped differently here. Ground-floor, bay has three 1/1 windows (behind period storms) in segmental-arch openings, with brickwork as described above. Roof above is rectangular in plan, with projecting front corners on decorated wooden brackets with end finials. Second floor bay is rectangular, with paired, 1/1 windows and decorative central wooden mullion, set within segmental arch, with filigree spandrel as to right. Bay is crowned with bracketed, wooden frieze and wooden cornice, boarded above. Gabled dormer crowns bay, having central fan-light within wall clad in brick fragments. Peak of gable is decorated with coffered panels with “Xs and Os” within. Decorated eaves fascias, with applied battens, are built off elongated brackets, and gable fascias end with finials.

Roof – Hipped roof of light-pink, asphalt shingles, is broken by pitches of front gables, and ends with transverse ridge. Beaded soffit boards are supported by ornamental wooden brackets built off band-course below. North side has tall, plain, modern chimney, while south side has chimney with various corbelled courses.

Click here to return to Pine Street inventory

exploring our past

Copyright © Heritage Collingwood 2005- 2022