18 to 22 Huron Street

Two-storey, four-bay, brick building with rich ornament in stone, brick and wood (c. 1890).


Ground Floor – Brick piers, with stone bases, moulded brick and stone (triglyph) capitals, and stone arches, have Renaissance aspect rare in Collingwood. Original shop-front glazing and trim remain, and stall-risers and upper shop-front glazing assumed to remain behind recent shingling and plywood. At fascia level, lower, wooden moulding, frieze and dentilled wooden cornice span between ornate wooden console brackets at pilasters. In narrow bay to east, modern, slab door, over old stone step, occupies taller entry to upper floor. Stone lintel above is crowned with wooden cornice (crudely flashed), above which stone sill below small, segmental-arch sash. Shop-front cornice does not extend through this narrow, vertical bay.


Second Floor – Divided into three bays by brick pilasters over piers below. Round-headed windows centred in recessed panels, with toothed, segmental arches above having Moorish flavour. Additional, high-level, segmental arch emphasizes central bay. Windows are low, horizontal sliders, with plywood above assumed to hide original, round-headed, two-pane sashes. Window at LH bay (stair) is boarded-up entirely. Sills are stone, while voussoirs, roll and bevel hood-mouldings, and keystones are of brick. Cast-stone imposts extend as strincourse out to adjacent pilasters.

Parapet – Deep machicolations extend across building, stepping forwards and downwards at pilasters and sides of central bay, as well as varying in width. Thin metal flashing extends across wall-head, with remnants of wooden cornice visible beneath.

Click here to return to Huron Street inventory

exploring our past

Copyright © Heritage Collingwood 2005- 2022