21 to 27 Fourth Street East



Two-storey, red-brick houses having round-headed windows, half-timbered, gambrel-roof gables at front and sides, and with decorative metal shingles at gable pediments (c. 1910).

Ground Floor – At no. 21, full-width, concrete-slab veranda – with square-section wooden posts, metal rails and flat roof – is later alteration. At no. 27, low-pitched porch is original, including fine pickets and profiled handrails at sides, and decorative slats below gable. Entrance doorways have flat arches and hood mouldings above. Period, half-glazed door remains (behind traditional screen door) at no. 27 only. Red-brick masonry (painted at no. 21) has LH round-arch aperture with lozenge-pane, leaded-glass transom window over single-pane sash. Rubbed-brick, soldier voussoirs are within hood moulding which drops at jambs to meet upper band of double stringcourse. Stringcourse extends across façade and along sides of buildings, stepping up at all apertures to form hood moulding over arches.

Upper Levels – Second floors comprise lower, asphalt-shingled roof beneath half-timbered wall; with painted render in simple rectangular frames at no. 21, and with curving, braces with plywood panels between, at no. 27. Original, 1/1 windows remain at no. 21, with pressed metal, half-glazed door between, while no. 27 has three 1/1 windows (behind metal storms). Gable pediments have very unusual, diamond-shaped, metal shingles (presumably imitating cedar shingles) above projecting horizontal fascia, with two-pane (apparently old) casement window at no. 21. Gables have simple, boarded soffits, and typical shingle moulding. Roofs are clad respectively in green and pink asphalt shingles, and there are central chimneys.



Click here to return to Fourth Street East inventory

exploring our past

Copyright © Heritage Collingwood 2005- 2022