243 Ste. Marie Street

– One-storey, hip-roofed, dichromatic red-brick corner house with extensive, turn-of-the-century alterations, including Colonial-style verandah (c. 1880 and 1910; recently restored).

pic_243StMarie

– Front Elevation – Low verandah, without railings, has half-height, (pressed) red-brick piers with rock-faced, stone copings, comprising three equal front bays and rounded chamfered corner bay. Shortened wooden columns are built off enlarged bases, except at engaged pilasters. Central bay has low pediment with (recent) planted filigree on vertical boards, and with small shingle-moulding at narrow fascia above. Masonry wall is built of hand-made red brick with projecting buff-brick quoins and voussoirs. Aperture of front door appears to have been altered at jambs, similarly masonry below sills at all windows, which seems to have been bricked up – albeit a long time ago. Door itself has large, oval, bevel-edged window over moulded architrave, with panel and bolection mouldings below. Replacement, stained-glass transom window above has buff-brick voussoirs hidden above verandah ceiling. Fenestration to either side is large, square-pane, replacement sash under dentilled transom, with stained-glass transom windows above. Voussoirs are again hidden, while thick, rock-faced, stone sills date from c. 1910 (compare finely droved, ashlar sill at south elevation). Minor areas of masonry are visible above verandah roof, under wooden frieze with replacement, corner brackets and beaded soffit boards. Hipped roof rises to widow’s walk, with replacement, cast-iron, Gothic railings comprising large, interlocking iron rings with fleur-de-lis within and punctured arrow-heads above. Dichromatic chimneys at both sides are built off buff-brick plinths, with red-brick stack having recessed panels of buff brick, and minor corbelling at head. Roofs are clad in rustic, brown asphalt shingles giving appearance of new shingles.

pic_243StMarie2

pic_243StMarie3

Click here to return to Ste. Marie Street Street inventory

exploring our past

Copyright © Heritage Collingwood 2005- 2022