35 Elgin Street

Three-storey, red-brick, Queen Anne Revival house with (much-altered) verandah, large second-floor bay window, and (altered) Serliana at shingled gable (c. 1910).

pic_35ElginStreet

Ground Floor – Full-width, lean-to verandah has quarter-height brick piers with painted concrete copings, above which roof seems to float – since wooden columns are replaced with thin, metal posts, and only abacus and echinus remain. Railing is also replacement, in thin-section, metal elements. Beam above has wooden dentils adjacent plain soffits and verandah ceiling does retain beaded boards. Period, third-glazed door remains (behind metal storm), with segmental-headed transom window above (behind screen). Front windows aperture has painted concrete sill, broad segmental arch with brick keystone, and hood-moulding which drops at jambs. Lower windows comprise wider, central sash (behind four-pane storm) and 1/1 side-lights beyond thick, fluted mullions (behind two-pane storms). Three, curved-headed transom windows have textured glass.

Second Floor – Upper floor has very wide, slightly projecting, wooden bay over ground-floor window, containing three, equal, 1/1 windows (behind metal storms). To left is single, 1/1 window (also with metal storm) with painted concrete sill. Profiled frieze board and dentilled fascia above extends across façade and around building. Soffits are clad in beaded boards.

pic_35ElginStreet_2

Gable and Roof – Full-width gable has lower, asphalt-shingled pitch. Wall below dentilled cornice is clad in plywood panels between vertical framing elements. Wall above is finished with typical painted shingles. Central, round-headed window retains fan-type, upper sash, while 2/1 side-lights (all have metal storms) are raised, as witnessed by crude interruption of dentilled cornice. Narrow gable fascias have deep, ogee shingle-moulding, and roof is clad in grey asphalt shingles. An oddly rebuilt chimney, with projecting top courses, is at south wall.

Click here to return to Elgin Street inventory

exploring our past

Copyright © Heritage Collingwood 2005- 2022