77 to 79 Simcoe Street

Two-storey, semi-detached, red-brick houses with minor buff-brick trim and original 2/2 windows (c. 1870).


Description – These modest red-brick houses have a buff-brick plinth, with bevelled to course, at grade level but are otherwise without projecting elements. Original, 2/2 windows remain throughout, behind metal storms, over thick wooden sills. Segmental arches above are in buff-brick, with a slightly pointed, upper outline visible at ground floor only. Doors are slab-type replacements, hidden behind recent metal storms, while two-pane transom windows remain above. Concrete landings are, of course, not original, nor are simple, lean-to canopies supported on various metal posts; and witnesses on masonry indicate outlines of former, wooden porches. Roofs have light-green asphalt shingles, over beaded soffit-boards and simple fascias. Small chimneys exist at either side, with original remnant at west wall.



Click here to return to Simcoe Street Street inventory

exploring our past

Copyright © Heritage Collingwood 2005- 2022