94 Ste. Marie Street

Two-storey, red-brick, commercial building with period windows and door flanking modern entry, and with round-headed, upper-floor windows and parapet machicolation (c. 1890).

pic_94SteMarie

Ground Floor – Lower level contains various old elements. At LH side, an old half-glazed, three-panel door remains, with dentilled, wooden transom and two-pane window above. At RH side, upper three panes of (presumed) six-pane fixed sash remain under wooden lintel. Central, roll-up door is more recent, but appears to occupy an original aperture. Brickwork above is painted to form sign.

pic_94SteMarie2

Second Floor – Upper level seems original, with 1/1 round-headed windows and wooden sills remaining visible, while upper sashes are boarded over. Arches have rubbed-brick, soldier voussoirs within single hood-moulding, latter rising from continuous, corbelled band-course with central dentil-like headers. Band-course is contained by simple pilasters which rise full-height at either side of building. Wall-head machicolation is typical, and parapet ends with fine wooden moulding, now crudely flashed with asphalt-roll material.

North Elevation – At north wall, four 6/6 original windows (taller at ground floor) with thick wooden sills, have miraculously survived. These provide an attractive presence on forecourt to adjacent property to north, and should absolutely be preserved. Similar windows exist at south elevation.

Click here to return to Ste. Marie Street Street inventory

exploring our past

Copyright © Heritage Collingwood 2005- 2022